Using proper defensive driving techniques will keep you and your family safe on the road as you travel. One of the main components of being a good defensive driver is to know how to use your outside mirrors to detect what other motorists are doing around you. Here’s how to adjust and use them properly to avoid potential accidents
Mirror Adjustment Tips
- Park your vehicle and place your head against the driver’s side window. Then, set the mirror in place so you can just see the side of the car.
- To adjust the passenger side window, position your head at the middle of the vehicle and the set the mirror so you can just see the side of the car.
- These adjustments will ensure that the mirrors are positioned outward enough to eliminate blind spots. If they are adjusted properly, vehicles should appear in the outside mirrors just before appearing in the rearview mirror. They should also appear in your peripheral vision before leaving the outside mirrors.
Now that you can adjust your mirrors properly, here’s how to change lanes without an accident:
- Look in the rearview mirror for vehicles approaching from behind.
- Glance at the outside mirrors to see if any vehicles are in your blind spot. If you can see the entire front of a vehicle in the rearview mirror and not in any of the outside mirrors, it should be safe to change lanes.
- Do not change lanes if a motorist is coming up on you quickly.
We do more than help you to avoid claims and arrive at your destination safely. Contact us today to learn more about all of our insurance solutions for your auto, home and life!